Adapting to Freshman Year

Moses Garman

Freshman Quinn Linker has his eyes on making new friends and playing football when returning to Buena.

Moses Garman, Staff Writer

As we make the transition to another school year at Buena, we can expect it to be more daunting than ever, especially for the freshman class of 2024. Not only is this year online, but they have to adapt to new schedules and routines.  Making the leap from middle school to high school be tough for some but an advantage to others, these students look to adjust and reach comfortability on their own levels.

Freshman Elizabeth Gose said, “High school feels fresh, I’ve experienced the anticipation of starting a new school year.” Many students may feel intimidated when starting something new but not Elizabeth. “I have no butterflies or anxiety, though I haven’t physically attended class yet.”

COVID-19 has been the obvious challenge for all us during this time. Managing a new workload is something freshmen have been challenged with. 

It’s been difficult for me to juggle all the school work I’ve been assigned,” Gose said. “With good time management, I always pull through at the end.”

Freshman Skyler Nerida spoke to these new challenges as well. “A challenge I’m facing is doing school work at home,” said Nerida. “I feel less motivated to do my work.”

It’s been difficult for me to juggle all the school work I’ve been assigned,” Gose said. “With good time management, I always pull through at the end.

— Elizabeth Gose

Through the recent adversity and the new challenges some of the freshmen have found their comfort zones. “I find my comfortability in my Spanish class, I really enjoy it,” Nerida said. 

Other freshmen are finding comfort in the shorter school days and say that getting out at 11:45 every day has its perks. “I get to relax more but I also have plenty of time to finish my school work,” Freshman Quinn Linker said.

When making the move to high school you can experience new things. Students have not been able to do much together as a school during this year such as participating in sporting events, school dances, and being there in person. So many students are anxious and looking forward to something when we go back to school.