Why Call of Duty: Cold War’s release is bad for students

Anthony Gose, Section Editor

Since it’s first release in 2003, Call of Duty has become increasingly popular, becoming one of the most renowned video games in the world. Its newest release, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, made its debut on Nov. 13, and avid COD lovers spent hours grinding away. Buena students who have  been dedicating time towards the game can find themselves on a fine line between balance and distraction.

Video games in general are a distraction to many students. They are as addicting as they are fun, and students can find themselves spending more time playing video games than completing school work without even realizing it. Poor performance in school can be a direct result of a student prioritizing Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War over their education. Students who prioritize video games over school work can lead to them failing in school.

But failure is necessary for a human to grow. When we fail, we learn from our mistakes and we improve, building ourselves up. However, there is one thing that no one should fail at, school. 

“Failure in school can have lifelong consequences,” Robert S. Byrd, a professor of clinical pediatrics at the University of California, said. “Failing students also are more likely to drop out of school. Adults who have no high school education often face limited economic opportunities.”

t Their self-esteem lowers, their attitude towards school changes as they become unmotivated, and they turn to video games for comfort. A never-ending cycle unfolds, as a student spirals out of control.”

“Grade retention affects self-esteem negatively and alters peer group formation” said Byrd. “Grade failure has a negative impact on measures of social adjustment, behavior, self-competence, and attitudes toward school and is very stressful for [students].”

While there are no negative effects from video games to school directly, addictive nature from video games directly affects a student’s school performance. Success or achievements in video games release a powerful, feel-good chemical called dopamine. Jennifer Wickham, a licensed professional counselor in guidance and counseling, says that  “it’s self-reinforcing – the more interest we experience, the more dopamine is released, and the more attention we direct to the task at hand.” Students who play video games are more likely to develop an addictive nature that can directly affect their performance. 

Students who also play video games often procrastinate assignments, put no effort into their submissions, and watch their grades slowly deteriorate. In turn, their self-esteem lowers, their attitude towards school changes as they become unmotivated, and they turn to video games for comfort. A never-ending cycle unfolds, as a student spirals out of control.

The best way for a student to prevent themselves from spiraling down a bad path is to manage their time. Taking control of their learning, dividing their time for both homework and for video games, will not only make themselves happy, but their parents and teachers too.

Especially today, while most students are learning via Distance Learning, learning that places more responsibility on the student, it is of utmost importance for students to take control of their learning. 

It is possible for a student to enjoy Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, while still maintaining good grades in school. Being responsible, limiting themselves to how much they play, and allocating time to work on homework. In doing so, students can enjoy doing what they love, while promising a bright future for themselves.