Bulldogs show off their school pride during Homecoming spirit week

Spirit+day+themes.+

Montserrat Garibay

Spirit day themes.

Montserrat Garibay, Staff Writer

Buena ASB dedicated the week of Sept. 19 to a homecoming spirit week that would lead up to the homecoming game on Friday, Sept. 23 and the big dance that following Saturday, Sept. 24. 

Kenzie Herbert, a member of the spirit and athletics ASB committee shared her opinion on the week. 

“I enjoyed the homecoming spirit week, it was really fun,” Hebert said. “I did notice that not too many people participated, so that is something we have to work on.” 

I enjoyed the homecoming spirit week, it was really fun. I did notice that not too many people participated, so that is something we have to work on,

— Kenzie Hebert

The week kicked off with a comfortable start as Monday, Sept. 19 was pajama day. Some students and faculty decided to get an even comfier feel by wearing their favorite slippers. The most popular sight was the classic plaid pajama pants.

Tuesday, Sept. 20, was dedicated to sports apparel. Students and teachers wore their favorite sports team logos on any piece of clothing, including T-shirts, jackets, shorts, and hats. Buena teacher and boys cross-country coach Aaron Torres who was seen wearing a Lakers basketball jersey. 

American actor and comedian Adam Sandler’s unique style made an appearance throughout campus Wednesday, Sept. 21. On Adam Sandler day, students wore long basketball shorts, big T-shirts, sunglasses, and backwards hats. Imitating the style that is often seen on Sandler. 

“That was one of my favorite days,” senior Andrew Velasco said. “It was unusual but funny seeing everyone dress up like him.” 

The week took a turn Thursday, Sept. 22, as it  was dedicated to a trend that has been popularized amongst teenagers recently: Little Miss/Mr./Mx. Memes. 

Although this theme sparked confusion at first, the participation was not unseen. Students wore T-shirts or pieces of paper with the titles little Ms, Mr., or Mx. that followed with a characteristic that defined them with a colorful cartoon of the “Little Miss” cartoon style.

To end the week, Friday, Sept. 23 was color wars. 

Each grade was assigned a specific color to wear and show off some of that Bulldog pride. Freshmen wore the Buena blue, sophomores wore gray, juniors wore white, and the 2023 graduating class wore black. 

“It was a great way to end the week,” Velasco said. “A simple idea which is great because it allows more students to participate compared to other days.” 

Behind the scenes of putting an event like such takes a lot of brainstorming according to Hebert. 

“It is really us brainstorming and having to face the hard fact of [if] people [are] actually going to dress up,” Hebert said. “ A lot of times the answer is no, so we are trying to figure out ways to work around that.”