The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

A new ring to, new school year

Buena High Schools new bell schedule
BHS Instagram
Buena High School’s new bell schedule

While Buena has had the same school schedule since 1961, the 2023-24 school year is bringing something new to the table. The new schedule has created an adjustment for students. The new block schedule consists of staggering classes to an every other day basis. 

This new schedule has made some things a lot harder on students, especially those in extracurriculars and those who are student athletes as well. 

Buena’s club life has also been impacted by the schedule switch, with the removal of Buena’s study hall period, clubs who met during this time are left scrambling to meet outside of school hours. California Scholarship Federation [CSF] would  hold meetings during BARK and work on campus beautification and the club is still trying to adapt.

”Because we don’t have BARK it is harder to [find] a time to meet. We haven’t figured out when exactly we’re going to do [that],” senior Rylee Segoiva said

Student athletes are also impacted by this schedule change, “With sports there is a huge gap between my sixth period to practice so I have to find something to do for two hours,” sophomore Olivia Bossoletti said.

While there are many places on campus to pass the time, this gap leaves students roaming the halls for an entire block period.

Bossoletti described the struggle to stay focused for the whole class period, often fighting the urge to “fall asleep”. She liked having all her classes in one day instead of having it split up, especially with sports, athletes end up missing a full week of lessons instead of just one or two a week.

Even though the new schedule was a collective decision decided by staff principal Tiffany Dyer explains how the change on schedule put on a weird pressure that no one was really anticipating.

“In that seventh period, we have significantly fewer teachers that are teaching a section, which then just puts pressure on the rest of the class periods, if that makes sense. So essentially, it’s kind of hard to conceptualize, but building the master schedule is just like this huge puzzle.” Dyer said.

Block schedule being new to BHS is going to take some getting used to for all students around campus.