Black History Month Celebrated at Buena

Jayla Bratton, Staff Writer

What was once called “Negro History Week” observed the week of Feb. 7, over time became a month long celebration we know as Black History Month thanks to Texas A&M University Afro-American History professor Albert Broussard. 

In the early 1950’s through the 1960’s,  public schools did not teach African Americans achievements, activism , or racial violence. Nevertheless, today people celebrate Black History month by acknowledging hidden figures in African American history, and or recognizing a memorable role model.

“I believe Black History Month is celebrated in order to bring light to the overwhelming amount of African Americans that were never talked about in history books, African Americans that contributed so much to American history but were never given credit,” said Marcia Amegadzie. ,  “Black History Month is also celebrated to shed light on events good and bad that took place in American history but have never been recognized or embraced as part of this country’s history.”

The Black Student Union club has celebrated Black History Month the past few years. BSU has committed to produce weekly announcements that showcase events and people that have made a significant impact on Black history. 

I think this is also a great time for people to  learn about something outside of their own culture and race to better educate themselves

— William Boyd

For the past few years Amegadzie has  been celebrating Black History Month with the BSU club.  The club has put together school activities in the past and is presently doing weekly announcements that showcase events and people that have made a significant contribution to Black history. Amegadzie embraces African American history by putting aside time to watch movies and documentaries that inform. Amegadzie then says,  ¨And each year I am astonished with the amount of untold history I still have to learn.”  

Amagadzie then shares her  favorite historically known African American and says ,“Madame C.J. Walker [First female self-made millionaire in America] I believe she is an inspiration to women and to all people of color. Madame Walker; in a period of American history where it was almost impossible for African Americans to thrive was able to succeed in a big way. That I believe is true brilliance!”

Video produced by Buena's Black Student Union

These are just some of the ways you can celebrate Black History Month and those who have made an impact on black history. Meanwhile, others simply enjoy preaching about African American idols from the past and the present. Either way, there are many ways to celebrate this month. 

Lastly, Junior William Boyd shares his opinion in Black History month and says , “Black History Month is a time where I converse with  people about the importance of black and African heritage, icons, and so much more. I think this is also a great time for people to  learn about something outside of their own culture and race to better educate themselves.”