The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Spring into break, visit these 5 places

A+name+and+face+for+all+the+featured+places.+
A name and “face” for all the featured places.

With spring break rapidly approaching Bulldog families, many students are looking for a source of entertainment on their long awaited break from school. Here lie five different places ranging in price and style that are all accessible for our Bulldogs to visit for a day or two at a time.

Downtown Santa Monica and Pier:

The downtown Santa Monica area has something for all. Visit the pier where you can find funnel cake, arcade games, and roller coasters. A lesser known hidden gem of the Santa monica pier is their Heal the Bay Aquarium which is located just under the Santa Monica Pier; ages 0-12 are free and an adult ticket is just $12. Within a 10 minute walk, shoppers can explore Promenade Street and visit stores from clothing to technology, eat at a local favorite restaurant, Wexlers, and enjoy a stroll while watching street dancers and other pop-up attractions. With the drive being roughly an hour and a half, it makes a perfect day trip for those looking for something a bit different to do. 

Solvang:

Just an hour or so out from Ventura county lies the Dutch village of Solvang. Enjoy a taste of different cultures as you sample all types of Danish delights. From Mortensen’s Bakery to Copenhagen’s Sausage Garden visitors can eat a wide variety of Danish goodies. Ride on the horse drawn carriage, have a picnic at the park under the gazebo, or you can even visit the Solvang Museums. To end your night, visit Solvang Festival Theater. In fact, over Buena’s spring break, country music star, Scotty Mcceery is playing there. 

Santa Barbara State Street: 

Can you not drive? Take the train! Train tickets cost just $17 for a day trip. A roughly 50 minute train ride takes you along the coast and beautiful scenery then drops off right by the Moxi Museum where fun for everyone lies. The Moxi contains multiple interactive exhibits that allow visitors to spend countless hours there, immersing themselves in science and creativity. State Street also offers wonderful food and plenty of stores to indulge in. On Tuesday, State Street hosts a farmers market, and then on Thursday, a local makers market. If you are interested in art, and culture, stop by The Funk Zone and browse. 

Catalina Island:

Looking for something different and off the coast, check out one of our Channel Islands. Leaving from the Ventura Harbor as well as Long Beach, tickets cost upwards of $20 and sell out daily. Just after an hour boat ride, you’re free to explore zip line tours, local restaurants, hikes and wildlife galore. Kayaks and guides are available for rent. Bike rentals are also an option if you are not looking to get into the ocean.  

Los Angeles’ Griffith Observatory: 

With over 60 different exhibits to explore, your learning will not stop just because you are on spring break. For those intrigued by space, the public telescope allows for all to look through a high-quality telescope from the domes from each end of the building. After working up an appetite walking through the observatory, do not forget to stop by their End of the Universe Café and grab a bite to eat, before stopping at the gift shop to pick up your cool, space themed merchandise and trinkets.