AP environmental science students help Amy’s Garden blossom once more

Haylie Williams, News Section Editor

Now that Advanced Placement exams are over, the AP environmental science, APES, students have taken on a new project:learning and revamping Amy’s garden, a memorial for former Buena teacher, Amy Marie Reinert. 

During and after COVID,the garden was neglected and has endured damage to things like the irrigation systems, which is what applies a controlled amount of water to the plants. Students such as junior Kendall Nagaoka, have remarked that the clear lack of care for the garden is a sad sight.

APES students are currently working on restoring the garden and planters that have become overgrown. Students are hoping once this is done the garden will be a home to vegetables such as tomatoes, peppers, and more. 

“We are working on taking out all of the weeds and making it look pretty,” junior Ethan Saldana said.  

The restorations being completed are in preparation for new raised planter beds that will be implemented next year, funded by the CTE pathway budget. There is a hope to plant a mix of both native plants and foods.

“We are also going to [plant] food to try to incorporate it into culinary classes so they don’t have to buy from outside sources,” junior Jasmine Paramo said.

APES students are not the only ones to utilize the garden, during the school year field studies students have been using the garden for class projects. This ranges from worm compost bins to growing nursery plants in the shade house.

Amy’s garden has been around for longer than a decade, and with a bit of hard work and good weather it has the potential to blossom once more.

As there is not a clear set in stone plan for the next school year’s work and improvements in the garden, students simply hope to keep the garden “maintained.”