The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Proposition 28 paints futures for schools in California

Nathaniel Valencia
Proposition 28 is coming to California schools during February 2024 as 938 million dollars spreads throughout the school districts in California for new art programs for students to enjoy.

Approved by California voters Nov. 8, Proposition 28 offers new opportunities and additional funding for art programs through an annual funding for every K-12 school in California starting in the 2023-24 school year. 

Also known as The Arts and Music in Schools Funding Guarantee and Accountability Act, Proposition 28 offers approximately $938 million towards local educational agencies to be divided throughout school districts in California.

However, the funding has not been released yet, and is expected to be released during February 2024 and all funding will be spread out across districts in California.

“The purpose of [Proposition] 28 is to expand and add new art programs,” Principal of Buena High School Audrey Asplund said. “[Buena is more focused on art electives] that we do not already have.”

Some of the current classes that we know about being added are knitting and graphic design, which would be making an appearance during the 2024-25 school year.

However, the funds cannot be used towards the current art programs set in schools. When a school has a teacher for a program that has been in place for a while, for example an art class, the funds can not be used to acquire another teacher for the art class.

“It is really supposed to… expand programs that are not already there,” Asplund said.

It is enough to make a difference.”

— Principal of Buena High School Audrey Asplund

Proposition 28 was seen as a way to ensure that every student has the possibility to take an art class without raising taxes for California citizens, but some people believe that it is more targeted for the elementary schools that do not offer many art programs due to the arts being cut over the last 15 years and more focus on core classes. 

“I think the intent was really to bring a more holistic academic program to the elementary schools,” Asplund said.

However, Proposition 28’s ability to continue depends on whether California will have enough money to give. 

“The state runs out of money and then they change their mind,” Asplund said. “[However], it is enough to make a difference.”

If the funding was cut, new staff that were hired could be let go and entire programs could be shut down ue to lack of funding. There are other possible ways to support staff and programs but those could take a while to find.

“We have to plan as though the money is there,” Asplund said “We just have to see how long [it lasts].”