The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Cougars stomp Bulldogs out at John Tuttle Gym

Junior+Mimi+Moon+shooting+over+a+middle+defender+
    Emmet Cullen
    Junior Mimi Moon shooting over a middle defender

Before tipoff you could tell both teams were ready, looking to out perform their crosstown rivals. Buena won the jump ball and Junior Mimi Moon came out strong hitting a three pointer for the first points of the game. The rest of the quarter was low in scoring as there were multiple turnovers by both teams. Buena was able to obtain a small lead of 10-9 by the end of the first.

“As a team, we did good and in the end it was up to the officials to make calls and sometimes those calls don’t go our way” said Moon.

Senior Skye Thomas started the second quarter off strong by grabbing a rebound and scoring, Bunea’s first points of the second quarter. Thomas sustained her dominance in the paint getting multiple offensive rebounds.Buena could not capitalize on Thomas’ performance and went into a scoring drought. Finally, sophomore Karisma Lewis got things going again with getting a quick steal and bucket and knocking down a three with an assist from Moon moments later.

“These rivalry games are situations where it doesn’t really matter who the better team is, anyone can win” said Lewis

As the quarter came to an end both teams went back and forth on the offensive end. With less than 30 seconds left in the half, Kailee Stanilad scored a quick layup to break the tied score and put Ventura up 27-25 to end the second quarter.

To start the third quarter Lewis scored the first points of the second half with a mid range jumpshot. Shortly after, Ventura caught fire and scored four straight points uninterrupted by Buena. .Thomas gotBuena back in the game after getting fouled multiple times and knocking down her free throws. As the quarter comes to a close, Moon scores a mid range jump shot at the buzzer to bring the score to 40-39 with Ventura barely holding onto a lead.

“I think that game was a good lesson to show us that we can only control our controllable,”

— Lewis said

The fourth started off slow for Buena. Ventura took full advantage and scored 6 straight points. Buena answered with a huge run of their own making the score 51-50 in favor of Buena with just 33 seconds left. With 23 seconds left, Buena had a costly turnover and foul where Ventura made both shots, putting them up by one with 19 seconds left. Ventura sealed the deal by making the last with those two free throws making the final 54-51. Despite their loss Mimi put up 18 points and five assists along with Skyes 14 points and eight rebounds.

“It will definitely be a tougher game for Ventura when we play them at home” said Lewis