The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Open Campus No More- VUSD Passes a measure to fund new closed fencing at Buena

Sierra Engel
One section of Buena’s existing fencing. This would be replaced or renovated in the first stage of the plan.

Campus facilities are in constant need of improvements and updates in order to keep the campus’ safe and hospitable for students. In efforts to make improvements on our own campus, Ventura County voters passed Measure E, a 434.5 million dollar general obligation bond that is specifically for the renovation and restoration of classrooms, campuses, and other district facilities. At Buena, some of the funds will be used towards the production of a new fence completely surrounding the Buena school grounds. 

This plan, which is still in its early stages of completion, is proposed to be completed in two phases with prospects of being complete by late 2024-2025.

“The first phase… is going to be replacing the existing chain link fence line, which will be done by 2024,” Assistant Principal Tina Perez said. “There is talk of a wrought iron fence. For the Buena admin, none of us want to see [Buena] take on an industrial look.”

The proposed visual for the Buena fencing plan. The highlighted portions signify existing fence that will be replaced in the first stage of motion. (Sierra Engel)

The second phase of the fencing plan addresses the fully proposed site plan to put up higher wrought fencing that would completely enclose the school. In most places around campus, the height of the fence is to be 10 feet tall. 

The implantation of a fence is not unique to Buena. According to the VUSD page dedicated to Measure E, the project which is centered around replacing or refurbishing existing fencing will apply to “Mound, Balboa, Buena, Anacapa, Ventura, Cabrillo, and DATA.” As of now, Loma Vista has completed their campus’ fence, despite some protest to the decision in the form of a change.org petition that raised over 920 signatures.                                                                                           

One main motivation behind this mass fencing decision is school security. Schools like Buena with a more open campus design are cause for safety concerns as there are many points of entry for potential threats.

In the last 10 years, the country has seen an increase in school violence… having a fence adds an extra security measure,”

— Dr. Audrey Asplund

“In the last 10 years, the country has seen an increase in school violence… having a fence adds an extra security measure,” Buena High School principal Dr. Audrey Asplund said. Buena has seen its own share of school violence, as most recently, a lockdown occurred Nov. 17, 2023, due to an altercation that occurred on campus.

Safety concerns are the lead backbone for this fence, but for many underclassmen who will attend Buena during and after the construction of the fence, feelings are conflicted.

“I think that the fence is not going to improve how the school looks,” freshman Sara Velasco said. “In my opinion, it’s going to make our school look like an unhappy place.” 

Other students question the intentions behind the proposed construction of the fence.

“I don’t think we should be using money just to stop kids from ditching school, because they’re going to do that one way or another,” freshman Marlee Cattanach said. “They should use the money only if the fence is for our protection.”

The fence has its skeptics, but many are still hopeful for the future of Buena.

“Having fewer access points will create a safer climate,” Asplund said. “I think that teachers and students will feel much more secure.”