The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Shooting hoops, growing roots, Skye Thomas makes an impact

“She is a conscientious student, she spends time with her peers,” Gardening Club advisor Micheal Yorke said.
Emmet Cullen

Slam dunking into girls’ all channel league, senior Skye Thomas dribbles to the winning hoop with her confidence and her positive presence. Thomas has been playing basketball since she was in second grade, and has traveled a long way since then.

“[On the court] she’s aggressive, but you wouldn’t be able to tell, because her face stays the same the entire time,” basketball teammate senior Jasmine Paramo said. “She is not afraid to hit the floor hard.”

While playing basketball, she has met some of the most important people in her life, including friends Paramo and Senior Lilyana Marquez, both of which have been friends with her for about 4 years.

“I love being around her because she always puts me in a better mood,” Marquez said. “She’s determined and great at asserting what we need to get done.”

Even with Thomas being as competitive as she is on the court, she is also outgoing and still finds time to be social and hang out with her friends.

“I like the competitiveness of [basketball], as well as the team aspect of it, meeting new people and forming new bonds,” Thomas said. “Connections with people are extremely important, especially in high school.”

With attachments being as important to her as they are, there are many on her team and clubs to whom she has grown particularly close and whose lives she has made a positive impact.

Thomas is also a part of Unified Sports, among many other extra extracurricular activities including Key Club, California Scholarship Federation, and as secretary of Gardening Club.

Skye is the type of student athlete we want to represent our program… Going forward Skye will be our example to underclassmen on how we want our players representing our program.”

— Trevor Payan

“Skye is the type of student athlete we want to represent our program,” Coach Trevor Payan said in an email interview. “Going forward Skye will be our example to underclassmen on how we want our players representing our program.”

Along with all her clubs, Thomas is an artist, drawing and painting, and has even managed to sell some of her art.

In the future, Thomas plans on going to college at University of Santa Barbra or San Diego State University and hopes to major in something that will set her up for success for a career in the medical field, “just staying local and playing basketball for Ventura College.”

“She is a very reliable player, and a great leader on and off the court,” Payan said. “Skye was the backbone to our team.”

View Comments (1)