The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Black History Month Door Competition

First+place+winner+Mr.+Yorkes+most+favored+door+on+Wangari+Maathai+
First place winner Mr. Yorke’s most favored door on Wangari Maathai

Buena doors across campus were taken over by works of art for the district-wide 3rd annual Black History Month door contest. During the month of February many competitors from elementary, middle, and high schools, took part in an event sparked creativity in many people by letting them decorate their doors in honor of an impactful African American figure or event.

The event within Buena had 10 different teachers around campus participating, each one with a unique design and interpretation. Although every door that participated showcased their best work, only a few doors made it to the top three for Buena.

One of the top three was Scott Manninen’s class  who created a “checker pattern of individuals” from wood using a computer numerical cutting laser, with each checker a photo of someone who made an impact on society. Although this is the first year Manninen and his woodworking class has participated, they still managed to place 3rd.

“It’s not about the door, it’s not about the prize. It’s about what the students get out of it by participating,”

— Scott Manninen

“It’s not about the door, it’s not about the prize. It’s about what the students get out of it by participating,” Manninen said. 

In 2nd place was Teresa Hayes, the clothing and life skills teacher. Her door was a portrait of Bisa Butler completely crafted out of fabric ,to represent how the American fiber artist created a new genre of quilting that transformed the medium.

“I think this [event] is a great way to showcase individuals who we don’t particularly learn about on a regular basis,” Hayes said.

Hayes believes that BSU does “a great job encouraging and promoting” their event, especially since it’s distri

ct-wide. 

Michael Yorke was the 1st place winner among all the doors in Buena. His door had a more nature-like look to it as he teaches Environmental Science teacher. His door was inspired by Wangari Maathai, “ a woman from Kenya, who started a movement in her country to plant trees”, and in 2004 became the first African woman to win a Nobel Prize.

“I think the collaboration in this event is an example of how we can make Buena a better place, not just one month a year, but all year round,” Yorke said.

This event will continue to turn heads in the future with many creative people showing what they are capable of while also teaching others the importance of inclusivity, along with certain people who have made an impact.