The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Staff announcements
  • : check out the new games section located at the bottom of the home page! :
  • : Have a great summer Bulldogs! :
  • : Join journalism! :

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Isabella Prewitt makes a splash as Editor-in-Chief, co-captain

Isabella Prewitt moving quickly through the water in one of her senior year swim meets.
Chris Stehle

Isabella Prewitt opens her laptop to find her future staring back at her, an acceptance letter to her dream school University of California, Davis. Prewitt’s hard work in all aspects of her high school career has landed her on the path to success as an English major, and hopefully a professional editor.

Leading the Buena girls water polo team to 20 victories in her senior season, Prewitt quickly rose to the occasion as a co-captain in both of her sports, water polo and swim.

“She is very responsible,” co-captain, and Prewitt’s best friend, Kendall Nagaoka said. “She sees how her actions affect other people and always knows the right things to say.”

Swim and water polo have both given Prewitt the opportunity to build some of her most meaningful connections, which she hopes lasts a lifetime. These bonds are something that she cherishes about the sports.

[Prewitt] wants to go out and make a difference. Whether it is through writing or helping other people with their writing.

— Kelly Herrera

Prewitt’s leadership is felt within the classroom as well, with the co-editor-in-chief position being filled by her deep focus on her community. Filling the classroom with games and motivation, the connections she helps students build let them be more open with ideas and critiques. 

“We are able to build that friendship and connection where a lot of other classes are lecture based,” Prewitt said. “[journalism] socializes you, and especially after COVID… journalism helps you build empathy and be around people.”

Her love for English and Journalism stems from a distaste turned to love story  for reading and writing. After seeing a TikTok sophomore year encouraging reading, Prewitt went to the library and picked up the first book she saw, which happened to be “The Cruel Prince,” a book she still loves to this day.

“I kept reading, which was weird because I [initially] hated it,” Prewitt said. “This was reading for fun and no one was watching me, so I just fell in love with it and kept going back.”

After becoming an avid reader her sophomore year, Prewitt received a letter inviting her to join journalism. Teetering on the idea of accepting the offer, Prewitt decided to join, quickly becoming the personality section editor her junior year and rising to co-editor-in-chief in her second and final year.

“Prewitt wants to go out and make a difference. Whether it is through writing or helping other people with their writing,” English teacher Kelly Herrera said.