The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Staff announcements
  • : check out the new games section located at the bottom of the home page! :
  • : Have a great summer Bulldogs! :
  • : Join journalism! :

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

GSA club, Wellness center partner up for a prideful week

The Gender Sexuality Alliance [GSA] advisor Sarah Weinberg and Wellness Center advisor Tatum Maciel teamed up for a week chalk–full of fun activities during lunch May 20, 22, and 24. GSA club hosted fun crafts and games at the Wellness Center and quad in the spirit of LGBTQ pride.

“[The members] just wanted people to be able to do a nice, fun thing, [like] celebrate pride before the end of the school year,” Weinberg said. “It’s [also] nice to be inclusive to all and show that our campus is welcoming and a loving place to be.”

Monday, May 20 kicked off the week with a chalk drawing session, a scatter of affirmations arching over the main table on a rainbow to brighten up the day’s gray skies.

“We collaborated with the Wellness center to have the space for us to do the [activities] and as [collaborative] support, since our club is overlapping in certain areas with the Wellness Center with acceptance and being who you are,” senior and GSA member Cooper Collins said. “We [also] collaborated with ASB to help plan events in the quad.”

Members of GSA stuck the affirmation notes for attendants to pick from, along with chalk to doodle and write on the blacktop in front of the center. Many popular characters, funny phrases, and kind messages were etched onto the ground by giggling participants.

Wednesday, May 22 was tucked into the Wellness Center, where students and teachers mingled while making colorful bracelets. Stickers were also sprawled across the table by senior and GSA president Ghost Vega for the taking.

“Our turnout is not massive, but the turnout we get is very engaged and active in our activities,” freshman and GSA member Lily Beck said. GSA members were also engaged and actively bonding, whether it was during preparation and planning, or being participants of their events.

[The event is] to let kids who are hiding in the closet or people who feel like there’s no place for them… know there’s actually a club for them.”

— Ghost Vega

Friday, May 24 finished off the week in the quad, where water balloons and bean bags were flung over the grass. Students participated in games such as Simon Says, Corn Hole, and water balloon throwing while music blasted from the ASB speakers.

The purpose of these events was to raise awareness of the GSA club as a recognized community at Buena.

“We wanted to have an event over a week that we could [hopefully build upon next year] and solidify it as something we could do each year,” Collins said. The week was also planned after AP exam week to offer fun and relaxation for students who wrapped up their stress-filled testing time.

To celebrate the community further, the club has a future spirit week in the drafts alongside other potential events for students to enjoy.

“[The event is] to let kids who are hiding in the closet or people who feel like there’s no place for them… know there’s actually a club for them,” Vega said.