The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Staff announcements
  • : check out the new games section located at the bottom of the home page! :
  • : Have a great summer Bulldogs! :
  • : Join journalism! :

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Haylie Williams finishes strong as first ever managing editor

Senior+Haylie+Williams+lifting+heavy+weights+at+her+gym%2C+which+is+one+of+her+favorite+extracurriculars.+
Haylie Williams
Senior Haylie Williams lifting heavy weights at her gym, which is one of her favorite extracurriculars.

Serving her position as managing editor and working in communications at her gym, senior Haylie Williams is no stranger to a busy day-to-day. Finishing her second year as a student journalist, Williams has mastered juggling extracurriculars and finding leadership positions she excels in. Now, on her way to Ventura College, she has high hopes in continuing to study journalism. 

When she started her first year of journalism in 2022, Williams was granted the opportunity to serve as the news section editor. Experience in the position ultimately led her to apply to be a managing editor to further her editing skills.

“In the beginning I had no idea what the class [journalism] was,” Williams said. “I am so glad I joined because I have developed a passion for editing and helping writers perfect their writing to create something they are proud of.” 

Outside of school, Williams participates in CrossFit and found her rhythm working at the gym. Her role involves more “back end work”, as she describes it, because she keeps track of members and communicates with them on their gym plans.

“Doing [CrossFit] is super fun because I am able to create relationships with different people in that industry,” Williams said. 

She has built more relationships through her leadership positions and gained several lifelong friendships from her time in journalism. Among these friends is senior Isabella Prewitt, who worked with Haylie on the editorial board as a co-editor-in-chief. 

“I would say she is the backbone of journalism,” Prewitt said. “She is orchestrating everything from behind the scenes, making sure everyone gets their work done and putting the spotlight on students who should be spotlighted.” 

Math teacher Jason Greenberg has known Haylie for three years and has witnessed first hand her growth throughout her time at Buena. 

She is the backbone of journalism. She is orchestrating everything from behind the scenes.”

— Isabella Prewitt

“When I first met Haylie, she was a bit on the quiet side. However, as time has gone on Haylie has gotten “out of her shell” and is very expressive and extroverted,” Greenberg said. “Haylie will step up and help others when they need it… I could not be more proud of the person and student she has become.”

Senior Rylee McDuffee has stuck by Williams’ side for the past 12 years as one of her best friends.

“Haylie is such a talented writer and I think she has the skills and personality to take it far. I admire everything about her,” McDuffee said. 

After two years at Ventura College, Williams plans to attend a four year university to study journalism and editing. 

“Being able to produce something that can give people a different perspective on different topics is really rewarding and that is where a lot of the value of journalism comes from,” Williams said. “I want the staffers to remember that they are capable of creating amazing writing, and that difficult tasks are never impossible.”