Ally Radford’s takes being a small business owner to new heights

Colette Packard, Staff Writer

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, most would agree that making money has been difficult, especially due to the loss of jobs. However, students at Buena have been making money through expressing their passions. Think of it this way, take your hobby, make it sellable, and profit off of it. That’s exactly what a small business is. Junior Ally Radford took the meaning of ‘owning a small business’ and took it to a whole new level. 

Radford makes and sells jewelry in her free time, specifically necklaces, earrings, and bracelets. “Most of them feature crystals, or different types of glass beads, and are made with wire, cord, or thin beading string,” Radford said. 

Owning a small business also means you have to be a creative thinker to be a successful seller. “I have always been a pretty creative person, and have made jewelry for myself,” Radford said. “I started with giving jewelry to my friends and family, then eventually started a shop that is available to others.”

Radford gets a lot of her inspiration off Pinterest and looking at other creators’ pieces. “I will usually just sit down with my materials and put together different colors and patterns until I come up with something I like,” Radford said.  

…students at Buena have been making money through expressing their passions. Think of it this way, take your hobby, make it sellable, and profit off of it. That’s exactly what a small business is.

Although all of Radford’s jewelry is beautiful, she is most known for her crystal rings. She makes these rings out of wire and different kinds of crystals. 

Radford’s personal favorite items from her shop include her crystal wire wrap pendant necklaces. “I like these a lot because they are each unique, and I think that the effort that I put into them can be seen,” Radford said.

Owning a small business has its perks but along with everything that’s enjoyable, there comes it is difficulties.

“Something that has been difficult for me is managing my time. I would like to spend more time working on my small business to help it grow, but that is not realistic right now,” Radford said. 

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by @4everjewels_

Radford enjoys owning a small business, she truly believes that it can be a creative outlet for herself and others. She expresses herself through her jewelry and has fun doing it at the same time.

“I like having the responsibilities that come with having my own business, I think it’s a good way to spend my time,” Radford said. “It is also really rewarding to see it grow and to see my work pay off.”

All of Radford’s jewelry is affordable, such as prices ranging from $6.00 to $20.00. She sells through the app Depop and her Instagram shop @4everjewels_. She takes payments through venmo and cash if you’re local.