An editor with a passion

Jacqueline Magana-Chavez, Staff Writer

It is not often seen that a high school student find their dream career so quickly, but one of this year’s editors-in-chief, Sahel Schaab found her passion being a part of the Buena Speaks team. 

Coming into the classroom junior year without any knowledge of how to be a journalist, Schaab quickly learned how to interview, which questions to ask, and how to write an article. Because of this, she worked her way up to the highest position a student can earn. 

“She made an amazing editor-in-chief especially with the transition from in person to online, she adapted quickly and made sure others did too,” staff member and junior Eliana Hernandez said.

Schaab quickly realized that journalism was not just an elective class for her, it was a passion. After graduation, she will begin pursuing a career in journalism starting with a communications major at Ventura College. When she can further her education at a four year university, she will study journalism and major in multimedia journalism.

“I would like to thank Mrs. Loughman, if it wasn’t for her I would have never joined journalism. I would also like to thank Mrs. Castaneda for being such a wonderful and encouraging adviser, as well as the Buena Speaks staff of 2021 for being such a pleasure to work with,” Schaab mentions.

While she only participated in the elective class for two years, she feels that she has “made so many friends, developed new skills, and created so many amazing memories that I will never forget.”

Sahel has clearly made an impact on the Buena Speaks team and her advisor Jessica Castaneda is reminiscing her goodbye.

“Sahel will succeed in any task she puts her heart and mind to in the future. Keep working hard, reaching out to sources that inspire you in life and remember to have fun along the way,” Castendea said.