Senior Nathan Arthur overcomes ‘learning curve’ of becoming ASB President

Haylie Williams

Senior Nathan Arthur gives advice on being a leader

Haylie Williams, Staff Writer

Senior Nathan Arthur, the 2022/23 ASB President takes a “hands off” approach as he leads this year’s leadership program. He believes allowing his fellow ASB students to have the space and opportunity to lead themselves is the key to a successful leadership program. 

Beginning his leadership journey during freshman year, Arthur was inspired by the older students in his ASB class and had thoughts of becoming president from the beginning. 

“I think it’s always been a focus, but it’s not that I had my heart set on it,” Arthur said. 

Watching first hand how much ASB students could give back to the school, Arthur decided that was the next step for him. 

“I think junior year it really hit the fan that I wanted [to become president],” Arthur said. 

Inspired by the influence and ability ASB students have to make a change at school, Arthur began his campaign to become president. 

Arthur plays a large role in running the class and keeping documentation of the progress of events being planned. He supports the other students by making sure they get tasks done but also giving them ownership over the work. Arthur also has several big responsibilities of his own, like planning school events. 

“I am looking forward to the Buena, Ventura game, senior ball, and prom,” Arthur said. 

While it might seem like Arthur leads naturally, he thinks he is not “the most outgoing person” and becoming president has been “a learning curve” for him. He has been able to learn to be more outgoing and to put himself out there as he is often  meeting and communicating with new people. 

He wants to make sure everyone is involved and all voices are heard.

— Kelly Herrera

Teachers and administrators can play a large role in a student’s leadership role. Arthur appreciates the constructive feedback he receives from various teachers and is appreciative of the work they do to support him. 

“They just make the day better,” Arthur said.

In particular, Assistant Principal Tiffany Dyer has been extremely supportive of Arthur. 

“She is my number one, no hesitation,” Arthur said. 

As for influential teachers, Arthur sees English teacher Kelly Herrera as a “second mom.” 

Herrera taught Arthur during his junior year in AP Language and Composition and now in AP Literature in his senior year. Although Herrera does not see him outside of class, she has observed his leadership skills during class, especially in group projects. 

“He wants to make sure everyone is involved and all voices are heard,” Herrera said. 

Arthur encourages anyone who thinks that joining leadership may be for them to go for it. Being in a leadership role can teach students skills that are beneficial later in life. 

“I think it takes not necessarily a special person, but a special personality,” Arthur said. “And you can learn that personality over time.”