The highly awaited hybrid schedule

The+staff+and+students+prepare+for+a+full+schedule+of+hybrid+learning.+

Courtesy of Buena Website

The staff and students prepare for a full schedule of hybrid learning.

Galilea Velasco, Section Editor

In efforts to reestablish in person learning, the Ventura Unified School District implemented a hybrid learning schedule that was put into effect April 12, 2021 for secondary schools. For students and teachers this meant major changes were made to their schedules. 

According to the handbook published by VUSD, in order to adhere to physical distancing requirements, they had to reduce the size of each class into two groups, A and B. The two groups come to campus on different days for the first two weeks of the hybrid schedule. 

I actually really enjoy having the extra time in the period…I’m able to take my time with every activity that we do,

— Grace Ellberg

The district has also announced that classes would be extended from 60 minutes to 85 minutes. Monday through Thursday students will be on a block schedule from 8:30 a.m to 1:35 p.m. with a nutrition break that lasts 15 minutes and a 35 minute lunch break. However, Friday will look different as classes are only 60 minutes and the periods students have rotate each week from periods 1, 3, 5 to 2, 4 and 6. 

“I actually really enjoy having the extra time in the period because normally I feel a little bit rushed to get through things and with the additional time I’m able to take my time with every activity that we do,” Spanish teacher Grace Ellberg said. “I give a couple minute break about halfway in the class just for students to stand up and take a breather.” 

This new schedule also meant that students and teachers would no longer have SEL Wednesdays. In other words, teachers and students no longer have a 30 minute period dedicated to social emotional learning. Teachers and students no longer have that extended working day. 

“Wednesdays used to be a day of rest but now they have added homework and classes so it makes me more tired throughout the week,” junior Christian Villanueva said. 

Although some teachers have adapted well to teaching on campus and on Zoom, some students have struggled with the transition to longer classes, particularly the C group students. The students in C group are the ones who have opted to stay online throughout the entirety of the school year. 

“It makes me lose interest faster and it’s hard to concentrate,” member of the C group and junior Grace Morales said. 

Even before the hybrid schedule, teachers were concerned about the effect the new schedule would have on the students, but they also anticipated seeing a number of students on campus once again. 

“Part of me thought its best for things to be consistent but then a big part of me thought it would be so exciting to have students back on campus. Even if it is just for two months, at least some students can have that face-to face interaction,” Ellberg said.  

Although there are soon to be even more changes done to the hybrid schedule, such as the joining of groups A and B beginning April 26, students and teachers are hopeful to finish the year taking this “one step towards normalcy,” Ellberg said.