Cast of fall play cements connections behind the curtain

Madysen Hawley

In preparation for their opening act, the cast huddled around, holding hands to combat their pre-show jitters with breathing exercises.

Madysen Hawley, Writer

Buena drama department’s production of “The Somewhat True Tale of Robinhood” has been in the making since the beginning of the school year and some of the friendships that formed throughout the production will last a lifetime. Whether by laughing at fake British accents or crying on each other’s shoulders, this cast has bonded through shared experiences with stress, humor, and excitement.

It would be hard not to find comfort and solidarity in this experience when being led by Buena’s drama and stagecraft director, Karen Rodrigues. She expresses her love for her job and the students involved every chance she gets, even when managing both departments becomes strenuous.

“It’s completely overwhelming at times, but it’s also a joy. These guys are the best part of my day,” Rodrigues said.

The environment that Rodriguez has created gives the team a safe and supportive place to be themselves and relax with people who have very quickly become a family.

The spectacular leadership and friendship involved in drama come in handy in moments like these, where the cast is feeling the effects of a rapidly approaching first performance. It brings up many feelings of excitement and anxiety as they face it together.

“[Opening night] is intense,” Junior Aryanna Morales who plays The Evil and Repugnant Princess Prudence said. “It’s like you’re climbing a hill and at that point, everything is downhill, smooth and easy from there, in a good way.”

This year’s play choice creates an environment that offers even more opportunity for connection and meaningful dialogue than usual. As Robinhood, played by Jacob Gill, and his Merry Folk explore the struggles of poverty, arrogance, greed, and love all while maintaining an air of light-heartedness, the actors find themselves connecting to the messages communicated through the play and they hope the audience will too.

“You can see in the Sherif and Princess that they don’t really like the poor,” junior Raven Padget, who plays Willa Scarlet, said. “you should not think of someone not as highly as you because of your wealth.”

But do not be fooled, this play is not an hour-long documentary about the effects of income inequality between monarchs and peasants in the 14th century. Instead, it is centered around humor and almost every lesson is embedded within a punch-line. In fact, the humor is the main thing the cast was most excited for the audience to experience.

…That was my whole reason for choosing something so absolutely silly, I think we need some laughter. It’s been such a serious year and so hard on so many of us that I really want them to laugh and I hope they walk away joyful.

— Karen Rodrigues, head of the drama department

“There’s going to be a lot of jokes,” Padget said. “There’s going to be a lot of laughter so get ready to be smiling your face off.”

As we consume media and reflect on it, it is important to remember the work that went into some of our favorite experiences. Things are constantly happening behind the scenes. This cast has been at school until 6:30 p.m. every day since Aug. preparing for a spectacularly put-together show. So if, and when, you pay a visit to this year’s Fall production of “The Somewhat True Tale of Robinhood”  do not just laugh, absorb the message in every lesson and keep in mind all the hard work that the cast put into the play.