McCown brings passion to second year at Buena

Mrs.+McCown+helping+students+Iman+Zuhric+%28left%29+and+James+Berg+%28right%29+

Mrs. McCown helping students Iman Zuhric (left) and James Berg (right)

Jaclyn Crone, Staff Writer

During the online school year, Buena had a new addition to our English department for both 9th and 10th graders, Jessica McCown.  McCown has been teaching for eight years and went to Saddleback College for her associates degree and San Francisco State University for her bachelors degree and teaching credential

McCown is passionate about leading discussions with her students and incorporating their voices into the class experience. However, according to McChown as an English teacher it can be difficult to balance all the grading that is required with her other responsibilities.

“I believe that I don’t have enough time to get through grading all the students’ work,” McCown said.

McCown has credentials in History and English Language Arts.  Throughout her teaching career, McCown has taught History to all grade levels and English to grades 9 and 10. 

“I had my history credential and then I think adding on the English component really helps both subject areas,” McCown said.

It’s really no different than someone that’s been here for a long time. She’s really nice, her lectures are taught really well,

— Adam Karluk

One of McCown’s sophomore students Adam Karluk gives a little information about having McCown. Karluk enjoys McCown’s class so much that he would not change a thing about the class or how she teaches. 

“It’s really no different than someone that’s been here for a long time. She’s really nice, her lectures are taught really well, ” Karluk said. 

Karluk enjoys the fact that McCown gives students time while in class to work on homework. She gives students enough time to do their work so they won’t have too much to work on after school. 

“It’s not very hard if you’re able to get your work done in class, so you hardly get any homework,” Karluk said. 

McCown became a teacher to learn and to help her students and that is exactly what she is doing at Buena.