The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Fabulous Freshman Olivia Barajas scores goals on and off soccer field

Barajas+during+her+soccer+clubs+media+day+
Barajas during her soccer club’s media day

Making the varsity soccer squad as a 9th grader, being selected for the US National Training team, making ODP Cal south spring player pool, and being a phonamal student and friend constantly, are some of the traits that make up freshman student Olivia Barajas.

Starting at the young age of 4 and ever since, freshman Olivia Barajas has always been an amazing soccer player with an immense love for the sport. 

“I like the relationships you build, they are super special to me and playing soccer is just super fun, it helps me take my mind off of things” Olivia Barajas said.

Looking up her two older brothers, 18 and 21, who are also sports fanatics, most of her passion for the competition comes from them. 

“My brothers ( are my inspiration ). Because they have gotten a bunch of achievements and I really want to live up to that.”

Not only does Olivia want to live up to her brother’s accomplishments, Barajas really hopes to become a division one athlete at USC. 

“Playing with Olivia feels good, she plays at a very high level,”

— Emma Gray

After being friends and teammates for three years, sophomore Emma Gray had only ecstatic things to say about Olivia. Gray describes her as a “kind and bubbly person who has a very joyful aura.”

“Even if she’s in a bad mood or angry, she never acts like it,” Gray said.

Olivia’s greatness translates from the pitch to the classroom. While her favorite classes are math and science, because of the people in them, she is a main participant and strong leader in all of her other classes.

“She is kind to other people and makes them feel comfortable to take the risks she takes. Olivia is just an overall joy to have in class,” English teacher Jessica Castaneda said.