Three underrated shows to watch over break

Nazaret Viramontes, Staff Writer

If you are struggling to find your next show to binge watch over the Holiday break with the oh so tempting cozy atmosphere provided by the cold weather. I recommend these three underrated shows that are absolutely amazing.

Reign

Set in the late sixteenth century, Mary Queen of Scotland arrives in France accompanied with her four ladies in waiting. As she is set to marry the prince of France, named Francis. Mary and Francis are both to be the future King and Queen of the country but problems ensue which may cause a delay or break the alliance between France and Scotland. 

This show is on Netflix, and each episode and season were jaw dropping for how many plot twists kept appearing. This show is one of my top favorites because I enjoy watching historical shows that involve queens and kings. Mary is my favorite character because she is a strong, fearless Queen. The aesthetic in the

show is amazing, with its beautiful gowns and romance that make everything look and feel surreal. Throughout the show she goes through many difficulties and puts her country before herself. This show made me feel a plethora of emotions, it made me feel happiness, anger, and sadness. I recommend it to anyone who loves strong female leads and twists. There were so many quotes  but this one relates to every queen in the show. “Oh Mary, don’t you know by now? Happiness is the one thing we queens can never have.”

“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.”

— Alaska Young in Looking For Alaska

Looking For Alaska

“Looking For Alaska ” was created by John Green. It was originally a book that was adapted into an original Hulu series. Now this show starts off when Miles goes to a boarding school. His life before this was uneventful, but now he has made some friends and is starting to fall in love with the funny, strange Alaska Young. Throughout the school year, prank wars are happening, friendships are changing, betrayal appears. And decisions begin to affect everyone. Especially when something unexpected happens and affects Miles and his friends, Causing a strain to everyone in the school. 

After I finished both the book and show I was in a state of shock, even though I knew what was going to happen, it still felt like a shock. I recommend this show if you like watching friendships blooming and amazing prank wars with funny characters to make you laugh. I also really enjoyed how they put many quotes from the book into the show, some of which include , “The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” And “I know so many last words. But I will never know hers.”

AIRawabi School For Girls

This show was recommended to me by a close friend of mine, and as I first watched it I knew I was already hooked by the first episode. This show begins with Mariam, a young teenage girl who goes to an elite all-girls high school in Jordan, Western Asia. With Mariam and other students in the school, they all get bullied by a trio gang. These three girls insult, bully, and offend anyone who gets in their way. 

After an incident that involved Mariam and one of the girls in the trio, Layan, things start to get cruel for Mariam. Everything goes downhill and Mariam can not stand to have Layan and her two friends push more people around, so she decides to give the trio what they truly deserve for what they did. Revenge. 

Episode and after episode made me stay up some nights to continue binge watching it. Even though these episodes are an hour long, you won’t even notice how much time passed because of how addicting it is. I definitely recommend watching this show because it discusses an important issue and bullying is the top one. This is a Jordanian- Arab original series that is on Netflix and it only has eight episodes, so go ahead and give this show a try.