Paw Print Literary Magazine seeks submissions for contest

Victoria Hermosillo, Staff Writer

Buena’s 54 Paw Print Literary Magazine issue, advised by English teacher Karen Childress, are seeking additional submissions.

Paw Print is a literary magazine made entirely of Buena students’ creativity in writing, drawing, and photography. You can find previous Paw Print magazines in the school library by the comic book section. No experience is necessary to submit to the magazine. The contest results will be submitted before the following literary magazine is published in spring.

“Students should submit, it does not even matter if it is writing or art. Maybe you even have poetry, and you love poetry, but maybe you do not think you are good at it. It does not matter because every one of every skill level is in the magazine,” Editor-in-Chief for Paw Print, Elena Pomposo said.

The submissions deadline was extended to Jan. 14 because of the impact of COVID on overall school attendance.

As a result of the deadline extension, about 75 submissions total were received, making it back to the typical amount of submissions seen on an average year submissions.

“So many students have been out this week, we decided it would be a good idea just to make sure we remind all students that this is still going on, they can still submit things. Just to make sure we get the word out and it gives us a little more time to do that,” Childress said.

This call of action was made in hope to get more submissions and to be considerate of the students out because of quarantine. Paw Print had not received as many submissions as they normally would and this deadline push was a good way to give students a chance to improve their work or if they were absent. As a result of the deadline extension, about 75 submissions total were received, making it back to the typical amount of submissions seen on an average year submissions.

Students who currently participate in the creation of the magazine enjoy being part of the process. They feel empowered to share what they create.

“It’s great to have a community where they are not judged and where they are appreciated for their talents. They are still a part of it, and they are there because they like being there and no one judges them for it,” staff writer for Paw Print Solana Warren said.