The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Staff announcements
  • : check out the new games section located at the bottom of the home page! :
  • : Have a great summer Bulldogs! :
  • : Join journalism! :

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

The floating lights: prom 2024

When prom night goes right
Avery Buehner

April 27, the night was young and as the sun started to set, Buena students lined the block surrounding the Ventura Music Hall in their best suits and dresses, ready for the high school experience and time of their lives: prom.

This year’s theme was evident in the decorations around the venue, “The floating lights”, otherwise named and inspired by the disney movie “Tangled”, the purple dresses sprinkled throughout the crowd and smiles on the faces of the prom goers proved that this years theme was a hit. 

“I like the theme because it’s very pretty, it gives the girls a little more opportunity to dress up really pretty without feeling bad about it, and it’s also really romantic for the couples,” Aida Heredia Sanchez said, who was sitting in a booth with her friends and enjoying the free refreshments.

One of the beautiful bouquets on the many tables around the venue. (Avery Buehner)

Lanterns lined the ceilings and florals were placed throughout the venue. There were flowers on every table and a color scheme of blues, pinks, purples and greens.

The venue had a place for everyone with booth seating, table seating, a bar area- with teen friendly drinks, and of course, a dance floor. There was the annual and student favorite photo booth which had a lengthy line of its own where people couldn’t wait to freeze the moment in time, with many props.

“The venue is really great,” senior Carter Armstrong said. “I love the lights, but maybe a bigger space and a bigger dance floor, but other than that it’s awesome”. As the

As the night went on the liveliness of the dance continued and the dancing just continued to get more rambunctious. Many students were excited to be at this prom, and most just wanted to have as much fun as possible, whether it was there first or last. 

Michael

“I think what makes a prom good or bad is the energy of the people at the prom, so because the energy is so high, this prom is really good ”

— Michael Ramirez

The Student resting place was full and bustling to take a break from dancing. (Avery Buehner)

The energy and vibe of this year’s prom turned out to be great, and many students agreed.“[The dance is] hectic, crazy, fun, loud, “ said senior Adam Karluck, and his friend Carter Armstrong said “[Yeah, it is] crazy, upbeat, pumped, and just so much fun”. OAVery

So with a win of a dance in the books of students, the faculty also had good things to say. 

“Everyone has been wonderful, I find when students are dressed up, they tend to be on their best behavior.” Principal Audrey Asplund said.

View Comments (1)