VIEWPONT: School security is not to be mocked

Educating+yourself+and+being+aware+of+your+surroundings+can+help+you+be+prepared.+For+more+information+on+shootings%2C+check+out+The+Sandy+Hook+Promise.+

Brooklin Barilone

Educating yourself and being aware of your surroundings can help you be prepared. For more information on shootings, check out The Sandy Hook Promise.

Brooklin Barilone, Section Editor

There is a certain feeling of sensitivity needed when speaking about school shootings as it is not an easy topic to discuss. But difficult or not, students need to be aware and understand the impacts on school safety and what safety precautions can mean for personal social media accounts.

Feb. 2, Principle Audrey Asplund made a statement on Buena Today, about being aware of what you post and say concerning school shootings after law enforcement had to investigate a possible threat to the school that was made on social media. 

In the video Asplund said, “Please know if you use the word gun, school shooting, or violence, in any way on any of your social media accounts, we have to report that to the Ventura Police Department.”

I will say it is a lengthy process. It is pretty exhausting for the child to go through.

— School Psychologist Mariko Garza

Asplund’s intention for the message was for students to self monitor what they say or post on social media. “I want people to think twice,” Asplund said. 

When students make several comments and posts can make it difficult for authorities to determine what is a threat and what is a “joke”. Administrators have to take all comments regarding gun violence seriously due to the surge of school shootings. In 2019 there were 45 school shootings before the year was over, leaving an average of nearly one school shooting per week.  

After Asplund’s announcement students were confused on why social media administrators can monitor and watch what students say, this drastically reduces the chance of a school shooting, as being aware will help administrators. 

Thankfully, Ventura County has not witnessed many school shootings in its history, the last school shooting was at Oxnard High School in 2014. The shooting was ruled a hate crime, leading fellow students and families to grieve the loss of 15 year old Lawerance King.

Due to most Ventura students not experiencing a horrific event like this, some students have made insensitive comments or mocked Asplund’s announcement. In passing I have even heard some students joke about posting a toy gun in retaliation to Asplund’s message. 

While they might find this funny, they likely would not if they realized the extent to which it wastes the time of administration and possibly harms students and administration that have suffered at the hands of gun violence. 

“It can trigger different things for different people,” School Psychologist Mariko Garza said. “It is not just students, I have had staff who have been really triggered by comments.” 

These events can have lasting effects on people of all ages. Witnesses can suffer from PTSD, have physical reactions to loud noises, and may also have to avoid certain activities. 

Being conscious of surrounding people and how your comments can affect others is one solution to making a more positive space where everyone can feel safe, students and staff alike. 

“It is something you take with you for the rest of your life,” Garza said.