Season of Lent is a time for self-reflection and sacrifice

A common set up you might find in a Catholic Church on Ash Wednesday including the crucifix, and the ashes used in Ash Wednesday ceremony.

creative commons

Madysen Hawley, Staff Writer

Mar. 9 2022, two groups of people could be found in Buena’s hallways: those with ash on their foreheads, and those with questions. Many people are unaware of the historical and religious background to Lent and even of its existence as a whole. Consequently, it might have come as a surprise when their friends showed up to school with cross-shaped ash donning their foreheads and newly proclaimed restrictions in their lives.

Lent is the 42 day period between Ash Wednesday and Holy Thursday in which members of the Catholic Church adopt a schedule of fasting and give up one thing of their choice in their life to prepare for the celebration of Christ resurrecting on Easter. 

It is centered around discipline and selflessness which is achieved through fasting, prayer, and charity, all of which are the main focus during Lent. It has developed into a time of self-reflection and connecting with your faith that benefits many people’s relationship with God and themselves.

It is common for people’s sacrifice to be related to food because of the tradition’s connection to Jesus fasting in the desert, but that is not always the case. Some common things people give up are swearing, screen time, or excessive shopping. Sophomore, Elaine Paler, for example, gave up social media this year.

“I think that I use social media too much,” Paler said. “It takes up too much of my day and there are more valuable things I could do with my time.”

While Lent is generally a time for solidifying your faith and honoring Christ’s sacrifice to mankind, it can mean something different for everyone. Some people view the holiday as an opportunity for self-improvement, rather than a religious experience.

“I do not see it as a religious thing you have to do,” Paler said. “I see it more as an excuse to do something that benefits me personally, and what is going on in my life, rather than for God.” 

As for the crosses on foreheads, that is a part of a process done on Ash Wednesday, otherwise known as The Day of the Ashes, which officially marks the beginning of Lent with a service centered around repentance, community, and death.

According to Encyclopedia Britannica,Ash Wednesday is a solemn reminder of human mortality and the need for reconciliation with God.