Rising gas prices tear through student pockets

Bella Lopez, section editor

Gas prices across the country have been steadily rising for months. The prices of gas started to rise after the COVID-19 pandemic and surged to an all time high after Russia invaded Ukraine, which caused a ban on Russian oil imports, a decision made by the Biden administration. 

The average price for unleaded gas as of March 2022 reached $4.32 per gallon in the United States, which is a dollar more than this time last year. However, this is not the end of the price cap as prices continue to rise.

Buena students see the impact of high gas prices as many of the upperclassmen drive to and from school. Along with this, many of the driving students have a job which is a way for them to pay for their commute.

“I do not think I have ever paid this much for gas,” senior Moses Moreno said. “I look at gas prices and see how many shifts I am going to have to work.”

Moreno drives a Toyota Prius, which as a Hybrid, is a highly fuel efficient vehicle. The Toyota Prius can go around 53 miles per gallon, where the average car sold in the United States gets  25 miles per gallon. 

“On average for a full tank of gas, I spend $48.00 which lasts me about two or three weeks,” Moreno said.

For a lot of drivers, this seems like a good deal comparing it to other vehicles, such as trucks. Since trucks have a larger engine, they use more fuel. On average, truck owners can spend anywhere from $100 to $150 to fill up their gas tanks. 

“To fill up my truck from empty, it is about $125, maybe $130, ” senior Kirtis Lund said. 

This surge of raised prices has caused people to change their habits and reduce not only their spending, but also how much they drive and use their vehicles. 

“I have started to let my family use my car sometimes due to the gas prices,” Moreno said. “My mom can use it one day and then I get it another day.”

Not only have gas prices affected the people driving, it has also affected those around them because even if you do not drive, you have family members or someone you know who does.