The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Campus Supervisor Evan Wallace, a guiding voice at Buena

Al Gentry
Wallace welcoming a student as she enters campus, Oct. 19.

Buena alumni Evan Wallace is starting his sixth year as a campus supervisor and is taking a different approach to show the youth of Buena the best way to navigate their four-year stay in high school and prepare them for life after graduating.

During his time as a student at Buena, Wallace had a close relationship with campus supervisor Liz Morgan, who was also the mother of one of his close friends. Not only was she someone who looked out for Wallace at school, but she checked in on him outside as well.

“Liz Morgan worked here for roughly 30 years and she was awesome. I didn’t make the right choices and security was always looking for me, but she was a guiding voice and pushed me to do better,” Wallace said.

Wallace recalled the many times during lunches or after school where they would have long conversations about his life.

“Maybe if I [had not] listened to her I would have had a completely different life, she was like family, and it [was] because of her treating me like one of her sons that I work here today doing my absolute best to make sure these kids don’t make the same mistakes I did during my time here,” Wallace said.

Family is one of the biggest motivators for Wallace who has a thirteen and fifteen year old at home. His sons are his biggest inspiration alongside Liz Morgan and his wife who is working towards her masters degree

I work here today doing my absolute best to make sure these kids don’t make the same mistakes I did during my time here,”

— Evan Wallace

“One of my boys is locked in with school 100% of the time. Me and my wife do not have to tell him anything normally, but my younger son is a mirror image of me and we sometimes have to light a fire under him,” Wallace said.

Wallace works with kids who come from struggling home lives, he wants to make everyone feel like they are seen. He wants everyone to feel like they have someone looking out for them and seeing them for who they are, not what’s in their file.

Junior Alijah Jackson, explained his sophomore year Wallace helped him flowers for his girlfriend, and with Wallace’s track record of good deeds over the last six years.

“I wanted to do something nice for my girlfriend but I had no way to get her flowers and after I talked to Evan next thing I knew I had flowers to give to her, ” Jackson said.

Fellow Campus Supervisor Max has worked with Wallace  for two years and admires his work ethic.

“‘He’s always going out of his way, working harder so others can take a break and not work as hard. He takes care of the people around him and I have never seen anyone work so hard for others,” Max said.

View Comments (1)