The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Dear Foothill, leave the rivalry fun to the Bulldogs, Cougars

Rhea Burney
Buena students dressing up for “Kooky Cougar Day”.

A beloved tradition at Buena, stretching back to the early years of the crosstown Buena vs. Ventura rivalry is Ventura Nerd Day. This spirit day consisted of dressing up as a “nerd” in Ventura colors and merchandise to hype up the rivalry football game. The cougars had the same spirit day, called Buena Nerd Day. 

In 2017, it was brought to the attention of administrators at Ventura that some Foothill students considered the day to be abhorrent to those who consider themselves “nerdy”. The spirit day was removed the following year for both Ventura and Buena. 

Foothill Dragon Press’ article makes the point that many kids that enjoy their video games, academics, and other “nerd” things are ostracized because of Ventura Nerd Day. The day was not created with any intent to offend or label the students who consider themselves “nerds”. While the word can have a relatively negative connotation, the idea of the day is to dress as an exaggerated nerdy version of our rivals.

Additionally, the term nerd has also evolved throughout the decades.) Unlike Foothills’ dated views, the stereotype has changed; nowadays the word is rarely used to belittle others. 

The classic idea of nerds wearing high waisted pants, extremely large glasses, braces, and suspenders is outdated. Like Foothill mentions, modern day “nerds” do not express themselves this way.

Nerds evolved from a stereotype to more of a character or costume. ASB would have never created this day without the outrageous and exaggerated outfits existing. Having one day a year to dress up and have some light hearted fun will not bring back the stereotypes of the past. 

Foothills article also states that dressing up emphasizes hatred towards the opposing school. While we may be painting a funny image of the Cougars, the day is more used to unify the student body by preparing to play against our rivals. It is a fun opportunity to dress up and express support for our team. 

“When I first started teaching [at Buena], it used to be a huge holiday,” Buena teacher Sarah Pinkstaff said. “It was like a big festival for students, probably over half the campus participated.” 

Pinkstaff has dressed up almost every year to encourage students to participate and join in on the fun. 

She expressed that dressing up is not particularly meant to insult the Ventura students, but to unite the student body by having a common goal: beating our rivals. 

“It brings the schools [Buena and Ventura] together more than it divides them. Friends swap uniforms with their friends at different schools, and students bring their parent’s old stuff to wear.” said Pinkstaff. 

“Although Foothills article may criticize our school spirit and relationship with our rivals, it goes to show that those not involved may never fully understand. ”

— Naima Dickerson

This rivalry has been continued through the fun activities of the students and the participation from them. Events like these fuel the future of this cross town rivalry, and allows students to pass on the competitive spirit to future generations. 

Although Foothills article may criticize our school spirit and relationship with our rivals, it goes to show that those not involved may never fully understand. 

“I can commend them [Foothill] for speaking out about it [Ventura Nerd Day], but they are not the ones being targeted by it,” said ASB president Divina Miranda.

View Comments (1)