The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Personality shines through in Buena’s first annual talent show

Buenas Improv group acting out a funny scene with characters requested from the audience.
Naima Dickerson
Buena’s Improv group acting out a funny scene with characters requested from the audience.

Friends and family cheer as the blue curtains slowly slide away, revealing the talented students. ASB held a talent show for the first time Feb. 2, proving to be a success for performers and entertaining for the audience. MC’s junior Kimberly Chavarria and sophomore Nicolas Faught welcomed guests and got the show on the road.

Planning for the event began months in advance to nail every last detail. The mind behind the show was senior Gia Donaldson, who took the initiative to design and execute the event. 

“I was eager to do a talent show because it was something I hadn’t seen during my years [at Buena],” Donaldson said.

Talent show auditions took place Jan. 10 and 11 with a slow start to potential contestants. The planning committee decided to add extra audition dates so more students had an opportunity to participate in the show. In total, it consisted of eight acts. 

“Overall it was a big success. This is something ASB should continue to do because of its ability to bring the students together by showing their talent to their peers.” Donaldson said.

Sophomore Brynleigh Elliot kicked off the event with her adaptation of “Almost There” from Princess and the Frog. As she sang and danced, her energy and commitment to the jazzy, rhythmic character of Tiana was evident as she strutted and leaped across the stage. 

Following Elliot, freshman Rien Alvarez dazzled spectators with her singing. She stood center stage and sang “Rises the Moon” by Liana Flores. Friends and family members could be heard  through the auditorium cheering for Rien.

Freshman Lily Beck took the stage with her original song titled “Wild Things”. Her unique performance elements, like sitting center stage and moving her arms with the rhythm, gave her act a unique touch. 

“The song is very near and dear to my heart, and I wanted to reflect that through the way I performed,” Beck said. “Shows like these are powerful to any artist wishing to share their talents. I genuinely loved being in this show.”

“Shows like these are powerful to any artist wishing to share their talents. I genuinely loved being in this show.”

— Lily Beck

Ending the first half of the show, freshman Dominick Sharif sang “As the World Caves In” by Matt Maltese. Surrounded by the support of friends and family, Dominick gave an astounding performance.

Buenas Improv group began after intermission with an incredibly entertaining and humorous show, engaging with the audience more than ever. During the performance, they took the audience’s character ideas to act out funny scenes. With suggestions like “Jennifer Coolidge” and “Hot Cheeto Girl”, the gifted students were able to create scenarios on the spot. 

The fifth solo singer, sophomore Haeun Puengrod sang “Promise” by Laufey, adding to the list of skilled musicians.

“I think we should have more talent shows. It’s a great opportunity to show what we can do.” Puengrod said.

The last soloist of the night, junior Kimberly Chavarria, sang “Dandelions” by Ruth B. The girls’ soccer team attended to support their favorite captain. She says the support from all of them was unlike anything she’d ever experienced.

Oracle of the Radical Age performing their song “Four Panels”. (Naima Dickerson)

The last act was a smashing hit from Oracle of The Radical Age, a local student band. Sophomore Stevie Fischetti was on drums, sophomore Santiago Lee-Baez was on bass, and sophomore Noah Rowe was on electric guitar and lead vocalist. They sang their original song “Four Panels”. 

“I’m very grateful for the opportunity to perform,” Rowe said. “This [talent show] put our band out there and booked us some more gigs.” 

Apart from the success of the performers, the audience members were thrilled with the event. The auditorium was filled to the brim with supportive friends and loving family members, watching their talented students. Sophomore Jazmmn Viot-Preciado was pleasantly surprised at the gifts these students have.

“There are some really talented singers, and the acts have been really entertaining. The whole show is very organized.” Viot-Preciado said.