The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Starbucks new spring edition: lavender

The well-known menu grows with floral flavors
Starbucks
The first thing you see as you open the Starbucks app- a new lavender drink.

The light purple glow of the lights in Starbucks next to Buena fills the building as a flurry of customers rush to order on March 7 2024 after the announcement of the new Spring season lavender flavored drinks awakened the curiosity of many customers. 

Because of the up and coming Spring season, Starbucks has decided to spice things up with a new flavor: lavender.

The official Starbucks Instagram post – “A fresh shade of spring arrives soon”

On Instagram, Starbucks had been hinted at the addition the day before it arrived, but they are not the only ones; the barista’s had been hinting at it as well. 

Two weeks ago, I visited a Starbukcs and ordered a matcha. The barista then said “Do you like lavender?” To which I replied that I had never tried it, then she said “Be sure to be on the lookout”. So, although it was not quite advertised, it was known that something was about to happen.

“I think it is such a good idea for spring,” Ella Meyers, a customer the morning of the release said. “I bought a lavender latte as soon as I could!” Many customers were excited to try the new drink.

They released four new drinks in total, the Lavender Oatmilk Latte, the Iced Lavender Oatmilk Latte, the Lavender Creme Frappuccino Blended Beverage, and finally the Iced Lavender Cream Oatmilk Matcha. All of them are dubbed by the Starbucks website and app as having the “sweet and subtle notes of lavender”. 

So with the fresh new taste of our beloved Starbucks coffee, let’s get into the review.

The Lavender Oatmilk Latte

This hot creamy Oatmilk drink hits the spot on a brisk spring morning. It is a nice boost of caffeinated energy but it doesn’t have a coffee flavor whatsoever for those who do not like that. The lavender addition gives it a strong floral taste that you either love or hate. It is also pretty sweet, so come with your sweet tooth prepared. Final Rating: 6/10

The Website picture of the hot Lavender Latte.

The Iced Lavender Oatmilk Latte

The iced version of the Lavender Oatmilk Latte fulfills that coffee need while also quenching your thirst. It does a great job of remaining the same in flavor that the hot lavender latte has. The blend of ingredients and the lavender powder create a dark brown coffee color with a purple undertone that is able to be seen when you order the iced drink. I think that the sweetness level fits much better in the iced version. Final Rating: 7/10

The Starbucks Instagram post of the Iced Lavender Latter

The Lavender Creme Frappuccino Blended Beverage

The most fun drink to come out of the announcement, this bright purple drink caught the eyes of many, myself included. Joining the rest of the fun and funky frappuccinos, the lavender creme flavor fits right in. It is very sweet, perfect for a frappuccino, and the icy taste and texture are great for the arriving warm weather of spring and summer. Final Rating: 8/10

The Satrbucks Website picture of the Lavender Creme Frappuccino Blended Beverage.

The Iced Lavender Cream Oatmilk Matcha. 

Saving the best for last, the matcha and lavender drink was the perfect combination for many. The floral flavors balanced each other and unlike the other drinks, it was a much more subtle lavender considering it was only in the cold foam. Of course, to enjoy this drink you also have to enjoy matcha. It was the most balanced out of all of the drinks. Final Rating: 9/10

The Instagram post of the Iced Lavender Creme Oatmilk Matcha

Overall, it was awesome to see Starbucks bring in a new flavor with a floral touch. Because they used a powder rather than a syrup, it also tasted natural rather than artificial. One final thing that I would say is that one, you need a sweet tooth to enjoy these drinks and two, if you want a true coffee flavor, maybe these aren’t for you. But, it’s a nice addition and it welcomes the Spring season.

View Comments (1)