The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Staff announcements
  • : check out the new games section located at the bottom of the home page! :
  • : Have a great summer Bulldogs! :
  • : Join journalism! :

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Ventura’s Hidden Gems: shaping community

Alyssa Angeles
The top right photo shows plants bought from Fiddle & Fern. The top left photo shows students, Addison and Bella Bruno, at the Ukulele Breakfast. The bottom photo shows the a barista at Singing Sun.

Along the California coastline, big tourist attractions draw visitors to cities like Santa Barbara, Malibu, and Los Angeles. However, Ventura, tucked between them all, has a small-town charm that is unique in its abundance of family-owned businesses hidden all across town, from coffee, to jewelry, to clothes. 

Instead of searching for the nearest Starbucks, head to Singing Sun on E Main St. From the moment you walk in, the atmosphere is warm and bright, with plants and art hanging from the walls, draping onto the fridge full of unique drinks, smoothie bowls, and overnight-oats. Their drinks are full of flavor and quickly served up on the counter by the time you finish paying. I’ve made Singing Sun a daily stop after school and would personally recommend their matcha latte, protein fruit bowls, and savory scones. 

Perhaps the most literal “hidden gem” is Fiddle & Fern, found only through the entrance of a different business, Plum Gifts, or through the back alley door where plants hang in the sunlit walkway. This shop is here for you from the very beginning of your plant-parent journey, offering cute plant-friendly accessories and guidance on caring for all kinds of plant-life. With its fun trinkets and coloring nook, Fiddle & Fern is a lively, interactive place to bring friends and leave with plants. 

Along the same stretch of road, tucked next to Ventura High School on E Main St., is a smoothie shop called Edenic. Once a young couple’s food truck, they are now growing into a blossoming, inspiring business. Buena bulldogs can be found ordering and even behind the counter as employees, blending smoothies and DJ-ing the shop’s radio. On their menu, you can find healthy, organic smoothies and a delicious chicken pesto sandwich. 

Take every opportunity to make your life a little more colorful and motivated during your academic comeback.

— Alyssa Angeles

Known as “The Hidden Treasure Along Spinnaker”, Harbor Cove Cafe is a perfect place to spend your Saturday morning at their weekly “Ukulele Breakfasts”. While listening to the sounds of ukuleles blending in with the waves, you can enjoy a flavorful burrito with a refreshing drink with an ocean view of Ventura Harbor’s active docks. Bring a ukulele and head to Spinnaker Dr.

Summer is just around the corner,  with endless days of having a blank slate every morning. Take this time to go outside and fill your days, but most importantly; start now. Take every opportunity to make your life a little more colorful and motivated during your academic comeback.