First day of in-person learning creates sense of normalcy for students

Photo by Sahel Schaab

Buena students have returned to campus all together, with masks and social distancing becoming the norm.

Sahel Schaab, Editor-in-Chief

April 12 marked the first day of in-person instruction for many secondary schools. All Ventura Unified school district middle schools and high schools reopened and welcomed their students back with open arms. 

For students and teachers, it was the first day of school all over again. Teachers, many of whom and students have had to quickly readjust from distance learning to in-person learning. Many felt it was a new beginning. 

“It was fun being able to see people and meet some of my teachers in person. It’s finally the last quarter of high school so I’m excited to be able to have the last quarter be in person,” senior Andrea Padilla said.

For freshmen, it was the first day of high school in-person and many did not know what to expect of their classes, teachers, classmates, and of the campus environment. Students were curious as to what they should expect of in-person learning. 

“I didn’t have any overwhelming feelings, I wasn’t terribly excited or anxious, they were not neutral or nonexistent but a bit watered down,”  freshman Elizabeth Gose said. “I remember thinking about all the possibilities the day had to offer, and while my emotions weren’t a humongous tidal wave, those thoughts sparked some excitement within myself.” 

With a large number of students opting for in-person learning once again, many feel in-person learning is more effective than distance learning. 

It was fun being able to see people and meet some of my teachers in person. It’s finally the last quarter of high school so I’m excited to be able to have the last quarter be in person,

— Andrea Padilla

“I feel that distance learning enables the sort of laziness many students have become accustomed to this past year,” Gose said. “With going to physical school, students have a place to be and something to wake up for. They don’t have a screen to hide behind and actually have to pay attention or at least be present in class.” 

In-person learning creates an environment where learning and creativity flourish, which in turn provide a more cohesive and successful learning experience. Distance learning is still the best option in the current state of the world for many students, but the common consensus is that in-person learning is the more effective way to learn. 

Students have been divided into three groups for the first two weeks. A group, B group, and C group. A group attends school Monday and Tuesday while group B attends Wednesday and Thursday. Friday’s alternate between A and B, while C group continues distance learning via Zoom. Students from group A and B will soon attend school together starting April 26, with C group remaining on Zoom. 

“Overall being on campus was really fun! It had a welcoming atmosphere,” Gose said. “…I’m so excited for more high school experiences!”