The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Science League’s annual Family Science Night with a dash of seasonal spirit

Science+Leagues+annual+Family+Science+Night+was+a+great+way+to+both+learn+and+start+off+the+seasonal+spirit.+
Brooklyn Carrillo
Science League’s annual Family Science Night was a great way to both learn and start off the seasonal spirit.

Science League hosted its annual Family Science Night Dec. 1 with experiments that had people’s hands on fire and gummy bears exploding. The event was a fun way to welcome the holiday spirit and teach the next generation about science.

Near the entrance, seniors Vinay Varma and Denisse Leon welcomed attendees, demonstrating one of their experiments, which was lighting one’s hand on fire without burning their skin. Another popular experiment was the DNA table. Senior Michelle Garriss used different fruits to teach students and families about the process of DNA in a fun and simple way. 

“It was fun to see the different experiments they had and learn about the chemical reactions,” senior Makenna Deppen said. “I will definitely come back again.”

It was a night of learning for all, including the club members. They helped each other when an experiment went wrong or was not working correctly, adapting to their surroundings as needed to reach success. 

“[Family science night] means a lot to me because I was here when I was younger and I got to learn a lot which made me want to [give others the same experience],” freshman Ean Rivas said.

Co-presidents of the club seniors Jordan-Lac Tran and Peter Nguyen plan for two more family science nights to occur during the school year. There will be both old and new experiments for everyone to see. 

“Science is present in everything we do, and we want to make it more fun,” Nguyen said. “We want to inspire kids.”