COVID-19 Vaccine Update

Free Use Image

Many Americans anticipate a COVID-19 vaccine as we move into the new year.

Moses Garman, Staff Writer

On Friday Dec. 11, the Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine was approved for distribution around the U.S. It is likely that the White House will get the vaccination first. Many believe that health care workers and teachers will be next up in line to get the vaccine. What we do know is that the vaccine will be distributed quickly.

However, Ventura County recently moved back to a statewide lockdown on Monday Dec. 7 because of the current surge in COVID-19 cases and its potential to overwhelm local hospitals. One solution is on the way as scientists and researchers have told the public that a vaccine for the COVID-19 virus. A big find like this puts the United States one step forward to beating this virus and ending its harmful toll.

Managing the spread of COVID-19 has been difficult for Americans. From strict stay-at-home orders to simply wearing a mask and standing six feet apart. Some people have not been attending work and others have lost their jobs completely. Students across the states have not been able to go to school in person. With a vaccine in sight it could help lots of people do the things we love again without danger. 

A hundred percent of Americans that want the vaccine will have had the vaccine by that point in time[3 months], the US would secure more than 300 million doses to make it happen.

— Paul Ostrowski

In an article done by MIT Technology Review, retired Lieutenant General Paul Ostrowski gave a strong and confident prediction that if anyone in the country wanted a vaccine they could receive one by June. Ostrowski is the director of supply, production, and distribution of Operation Warp Speed, which is the head of COVID vaccines in America, so a prediction like this from a head official gives Americans plenty of hope. Ostrowski says, “A hundred percent of Americans that want the vaccine will have had the vaccine by that point in time, the US would secure more than 300 million doses to make it happen.”

Though most Americans may not have the vaccine until another three months, nations around the world are making huge advances. Over in the United Kingdom on Dec 8, a ninety year old woman named Margaret Keenan received the first approved COVID-19 vaccine in Europe. When the first case of COVID-19 was reported about one year ago people had no idea where this would take them. In the report done by NBC news the author says, “For many, seeing these shots injected into Britons’ shoulder muscles will come as a much-needed moral boost.”

A vaccine could put an end to the long, rough, and draining pandemic. If people get one in America soon, they could be on track to living their normal lives again where we can go to school, work jobs, and see friends again.