The Heist Begins With DreamWorks Latest film The Bad Guys

The Bad Guys Film Review

DreamWorks Animation

The theater release of this film was delayed two times. The first delay was that another film took over its slot and the second was because of the pandemic.

Jeremiah Castro, Writer

It is time to go bad or go home with DreamWorks Animation’s new film? The Bad Guys did well at the box office of $202.5 million. The film,  directed by Daniel Pemberton,  premiered on Apr. 22, 2022 The is based on a children’s book of the same name by Aaron Blabey.

Production on the film began back in 2018 at DWA Glendale. The plot and themes were inspired by different crime series like Ocean’s Eleven, Lupin III, Pulp Fiction and Beastars. All of the voice acting was done remotely because the pandemic happened during the film’s production.

The main cast for the film is Sam Rockwell, Marc Maron, Awkwafina, Craig Robinson, Anthony Ramos, Richard Ayoade, Zazie Beetz, Alex Borstien, and Lilly Singh.

For Mr. Wolf’s crew, Mr. Snake is voiced by Marc Maron, Ms. Tarantula is voiced by Awkwafina, Mr. Shark is voiced by Craig Robinson, Mr. Piranha is voiced by Anthony Ramos, Diane Foxington who is known as “Crimson Paw” is voiced by Zazie Beetz and finally, Mr. Wolf is voiced by Sam Rockwell.

Richard Ayoade voices Professor Marmalade. He taught Mr. Wolf and his crew to become “The Good Guys” like teaching them how to share and how to save a cat. However, Marmalade secretly has a villainous side and he showed it when Mr. Wolf and his friends were about to be taken away.

The animation was excellent and the scenery was really impressive too. The animation style was inspired by one of Sony’s works “Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse” and I like that. The soundtrack is excellent as well. My favorite soundtrack from the film is “Good Tonight” sung by Thomas Ramos who played Mr. Piranha. I loved the energy that was presented in that soundtrack.

Overall, this was a really great film and I encourage you to go watch it sometime. If there will be a sequel to the film, I’ll look forward to it. The film is still playing in theaters and you could also stream on Peacock. After 4 months of being available to stream on peacock, it will be available on Netflix on Oct. 7, 2022.

It will also get a DVD and Blu-ray release on Jun 21, 2022 by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment in the United States.