Gilmore Girls popularity sky rises as the fandom increases

Nazaret Viramontes, Staff Writer

It’s the time of the season where everyone hibernates into their homes and watches fall related shows and Gilmore Girls is definitely one of them. Originally airing  Oct. 5, 2000 on The WB and now streaming on Netflix, Amy Sherman-Palladino created Gilmore Girls which is set in Stars Hollow, a small fictional town in Connecticut where a young mother, Lorelai Gilmore, played by Lauren Graham, and her daughter Rory, Alexis Blendel, live out their lives with friends and family. 

Although the first episode aired over 20 years ago, it is still as popular as ever with a big fandom, thanks to the TikTok which spreads many edits and scenes from the show. The two girls capture viewers’ attention not only for their mother-daughter relationship, but with their fashion, books and personality. 

Today, people take inspiration for the show’s many fall and winter outfits along with the aesthetics of the town. One common example would be Rory’s classic white oversized yarn sweater and blue jeans from the first episode. 

One of the main elements  viewers love about Gilmore Girls is the relationships in the show. Over the course of the series, Rory had three love interests over the course of the series and fans love to take sides and debate who is better. Dean, her first love, Jess, the mysterious bad boy and Logan, Rory’s boyfriend in her university years. Most viewers are Team Jess or Team Logan but we will never really know who was Rory’s greatest love in this debate. Dean doesn’t get as much attention in this equation; as a seemingly less popular character, he has remained a less mentioned topic when deciding who Rory’s greatest love would have been. 

“The show gives back relationships with mothers and daughters which I enjoy. They compliment each other and I feel like it’s nice to have a close relationship with your mom that’s not always judged.

— Avery Thompson

Many would agree that Loralei’s best love match is, Luke Danes. The two seemed to have everyone on their toes as their relationship developed first as friends and grew to something more. Many enjoyed their funny banters in the early seasons as Luke waited for the moment to tell Lorelai his true feelings in later seasons.

“I like Gilmore Girls because the dialogue is fun and the characters are interesting. The writing is witty, natural and overall the aesthetic is cozy,” Sophomore Solana Warren said. Warren also states that one thing she did not like in the show was the poor communication many characters had.

Although Rory and Lorelai had their ups and downs including a rough patch during season 6 in which they did not communicate for months, they always find a way to come back together. 

“The show gives back relationships with mothers and daughters which I enjoy. They compliment each other and I feel like it’s nice to have a close relationship with your mom that’s not always judged,”  Sophomore Avery Thompson said. 

Even though Rory and Lorelai have had rough patches, they always find each other and resolve their problems with hugs and tons of coffee to celebrate. 

Although the final season of Gilmore Girls ended in 2007, the show had a comeback season in 2016 called “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.” In this new season Rory and Lorelai spend a year in their hometown trying to figure out their lives as they navigate upcoming obstacles. New surprises come along, both good and bad, but the Gilmore girls can always get through it.