The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

5 Reasons you should go see fall play, ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’

As the curtain draws and the drama room bustles more and more, we know the fall play is upon us. Opening night for the play begins this Thursday November 9th and is not to be missed. Here are five reasons why you should go see the Buena Drama Department’s rendition of Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”.

Hopeless romantics: it’s relatable

“If you have ever loved somebody who didn’t love you back, or you’ve  loved somebody who fell out of love and left you for your best friend, this play is for you,” Drama Director Karen Rodrigues said.

After Hermia is whisked away into the forest with her lover, Lysander, he is put under a spell to fall in love with Hermia’s best friend, Helena. If that isn’t the medieval version of the hit reality TV show Love Island, I don’t know what is.

Shakespeare is actually funny

A “Midsummer’s Night Dream” covers the story of a messy love triangle, within another love triangle, featuring troublesome fairies and donkey playwrights. There is never a dull moment in this wacky fever dream. 

Show up to support

There’s a reason why there are only two plays a year- they take an incredible amount of work. The cast works especially hard to know their lines by heart and perfectly portray their characters. “To create the play, it takes a vision.” Rodrigues said. 

Down to the lights and sound crew, the drama program has found a way to work in perfect harmony for their first play of the year.

Shakespeare’s plays are a tradition

Only seen once every couple of years, Shakespeare is a reappearing ghost in the drama room. With the previous Buena rendition of a Shakespeare play performed back in 2018, this year’s class is lucky enough to be familiarized with the work of a classic literary genius. 

There’s a showtime for everyone

This year, you can watch the play every Thursday and Friday at seven after your evening dinner, or have a date on a Saturday afternoon at three only from November 9th to November 18th.