The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena saves 168 lives during biannual blood drive, reducing national blood shortage

Savanna+Countryman+%28left%29+and+Juliet+Lichtman+%28right%29+greet+students+at+the+blood+drive.+
Meghan Malloy
Savanna Countryman (left) and Juliet Lichtman (right) greet students at the blood drive.

Students shuffled into the cafeteria and registered to donate blood in support of the American Red Cross. The biannual blood drive was hosted by ASB in partnership with the ARC, Oct. 9 to save lives and strengthen the bulldog community.

The donation process begins with a welcoming table of ASB students who check in students and make sure they have everything necessary to donate. The cafeteria was filled with tables and ARC staff actively working to make the event a success. After donating, there was a table stocked with snacks and free t-shirts; this was the recovery table. Participating in the blood drive has never been easier.

Senior Juliet Lichtman has been on the community service committee in ASB since her sophomore year and has planned 7 blood drives. Due to the switch to block schedule, the planning process looked different this year, and brought some challenges. 

“This was my first blood drive that I was leading by myself. Acting as a leader and supervisor during the planning and the day of [the blood drive] was a great learning experience and a bit difficult,” Lichtman said. “Everyone in the community service [committee], as well as our ASB teachers, were really helpful.”

Lichtman has put in a lot of work to make the event a success. “The blood drive is incredibly important to our community because we are in a national blood shortage.” Lichtman said. 

Lichtman encourages students to donate because it is crucial for the lives of some. It also comes with benefits like $10 gift cards from ARC, free merchandise, and giveaways. Working closely with the American Red Cross, the blood drive surpassed the goal of donated blood. 

“The American Red Cross team that comes to the school are very efficient, hard workers that make our blood drives run smoothly,” Lichtman said. “It’s been great working with the ARC and I look forward to our next drive with them in March.”

“Every donation has the potential to save 3 lives. We were able to collect 56 units of blood with the ability to save 168 lives.”

— Laura Adair

ASB advisor Laura Adair oversaw the planning of the event. She says the ASB students were very efficient and organized in executing the event. She felt the promotion was top tier and they were able to reach a lot of students. 

“Every donation has the potential to save 3 lives. We were able to collect 56 units of blood with the ability to save 168 lives,” Adair said. 

With the success of the blood drive this semester, ASB and ARC look forward to the second drive approaching in March. With the amazing level of participation from this blood drive, there are high hopes for the next.

Junior Xander Rocha participated in the blood drive for the first time this semester. “The blood drive was really fun. I got to see my friends and I got free snacks,” Rocha said. “Students should participate to help people in need.”