The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Gen Z’s favorite holiday: Spotify Wrapped

The Spotify Wrapped home screen invites listeners to look at their music throughout the year.
Spotify

As the year slowly comes to an end, a special gift from Spotify gives listeners an opportunity to reflect on 2023 and revisit their music choices. Spotify Wrapped dropped on the Spotify app Nov. 29 which revealed the listeners favorite genres, top artists, and most-streamed songs. This day is anticipated by many, as they are eager to view their stats and share them with friends. 

The first Spotify Wrapped was released in 2013, after Spotify realized how much data was at their disposal. Originally it was named “Year in Review”, but after becoming increasingly popular, it was renamed “Spotify Wrapped”. 

During this annual event, Spotify users are given a personalized slide show that wraps up their activity from the year. Users are shown their top five artists, genres, and songs, along with the number of minutes streamed. They’re also given merchandise recommendations and links to concert tickets, based on their favorite artists. 

This day is awaited by many students, like sophomore Madison Nicholls, who believes Spotify Wrapped holds more meaning than a few numbers on a screen. 

“A lot of memories correlate with music,” Nicholls said. “The music makes me think about these memories again, which brings joy.”

Students on campus feel that Spotify Wrapped can help listeners learn about themselves. It revealed to Nicholls the wide variety of genres that she listened to, which took her by surprise. She was shown that she doesn’t fit into a box of stereotypical music, but rather has a diverse, curious taste. 

“A lot of memories correlate with music, so the music makes me think about these memories again, which brings joy.”

— Madison Nicholls

“I have learned about my growth in music and genres,” Nicholls said. “It is really great to see the summary at the end of every year.” 

Sophomore Jazmnn Viot-Preciado was able to discover some things about herself, like her immense love of 80s music. She also has some tips to improve Wrapped for next year. 

“I feel like [Spotify Wrapped] does not show a lot of music from the end of the year. I started listening to new artists towards the beginning of school and they weren’t shown,” Viot-Preciado said. “It gives a great summary of my music from more of the first half of the year.” 

Students at Buena have been talking and posting about their results on social media. On almost every platform, students have been sharing their summaries and comparing listening minutes. 

Sophomore Noah Rowe sees Wrapped as an opportunity to share your interest in music and connect with friends. He says it is a sentimental way to see how your music taste has progressed. “It’s a really cool way to learn about yourself and others,” Rowe said. “It was great to reminisce on the year.”