The Student News Site of Buena High School

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

Buena Speaks

2024-25 ASB candidates flood hallways, social media

Taylor Smith
Mia Martinez putting up her poster to get students’ votes

Colorful and bright ASB posters were plastered across campus as officer elections started for the 2024-25  school year. The elections took place Thursday Feb. 15 with students running for a variety of different positions, including the most demanding role of ASB president.

The tension between the candidates was high as the votes began to trickle in. Not only have physical posters been spotted in support of candidates but also social media posts. Candidates take it upon themselves to try and connect with students in every way, in attempts to gain support. For many this means posting pictures to get people involved in the elections. 

One of the many students in ASB running for a role is sophomore Mia Martinez. Martinez was head of the rally committee her freshman year and is currently the sophomore class Vice President. She put posters around the school to get votes to become vice president for the next school year.

“I want to contribute to [Buena] in a greater way,” Martinez said. “I also want to include my ideas within the school to make it a better place for all students.”

Martinez says she has many strengths she is capable of bringing to the table if she wins. She feels like she is very well organized and motivated, hoping she can benefit ASB for next year. Along with that, she claims to be a very hard worker and knows her ideas will make a difference.

“I’m pretty good at getting my work done and prioritizing what tasks need to be completed first,” Martinez said.

Another key role is the ASB president, which is what current junior class president Kimberly Chavarria is currently running for. She knows how to balance her school work and ASB duties very well along with her extracurriculars such as soccer.

I want to be able to represent the students through being the ASB president, making their voice heard is very important to me,”

— Chavarria

Chavarria has a lot of past experiences that make her very well-suited for this role. She has done ASB for three years next year being her 4th year. She stated that her grade was the first to experience all four years of high school after coming back from Covid. 

She feels that is important to her because it was a fresh start for her, and she “wanted to put a good name to the new generation of high schoolers”. Aside from that, she knows that her role as ASB president will make a great impact on the school.

“My goal is to be able to give more so we can get students to participate in different events. It just helps us feel that Buena Spirit,” Chavarria said.

Although elections may seem like a time when candidates go against each other, it can also be a time when it brings them together by giving them a common goal and a chance to voice their opinions. It’s a time to see different perspectives and how someone might be a benefit to the Buena community, this is why voting is so important.