The show must go on, an update on Buena’s Drama Department

Visual+representation+of+Buena+drama+returning+through+Zoom+performances.+++

Katrina Wagner

Visual representation of Buena drama returning through Zoom performances.

Katrina Wagner, Staff Writer

Over the past few months of distance learning, the Buena Drama department has been hard at work planning the next theatrical event to be held online this November. The event will be held on Zoom or Youtube.

“It will be playful and entertaining,” Drama teacher Karen Rodrigues said. Due to the new, complicated territory that is an online show, only drama students may participate. Rodrigues has been learning how to work with On The Stage, an online ticket selling platform. With On The Stage, the Buena Drama department will continue to raise funds to support the program and make drama accessible to the student body.  

I would encourage others to join because it is such an amazing department to be a part of and it not only helps you grow into an actor but helps you grow as a person.

— Jenna Salinas

Students in the program are adapting to the changes since distance learning started last spring. Drama classes are now just as entertaining as ever, with students learning reaction timing and improvisational skills over zoom. Students are appreciating the human connection that the class provides.

The drama department has used these changes as an opportunity to grow and gain new skills, “students are also learning about performing for a camera, [performing in] limited space, lighting, framing, and backgrounds,” Rodrigues said. Third-year drama student Jenna Salinas said, “I would encourage others to join because it is such an amazing department to be a part of and it not only helps you grow into an actor but helps you grow as a person.” 

With distance learning, the Buena drama elective course continues to be a safe space to practice and grow your theatrical skills. Rest assured the drama department is just as dynamic as ever. Rodrigues said, “The show must go on, and we will bring you some great events this year! Stay tuned.”